Sunday, December 31, 2017

Last Gift of 2017

The cedar boughs and holly berries on the fireplace are dry and losing their color, but I'm not ready to let them go.  To replace them, this morning we drove a ways down Sandy Island Road, a wild, brushy area bordering the 9000 acres of Brookgreen Gardens, to a place where we could cut a few boughs.  As we neared the spot where the cedar grows, an animal ran for a short way down the road in front of us.  "Is it a dog, is it a ca--", we began, and then both exclaimed, "It's a bobcat!"  The short tail, the tufts of fur in the ears, the longer back legs, were clear in the seconds before it disappeared into the brush. 
I was so excited I wanted to cry.  All my life, in all the wild places I've hiked and camped, I've longed to see a bobcat.  I never thought I would.

What a last-minute gift from a year that has been so ecologically and politically disheartening and worrisome.

2017, my Year of the Bobcat.

(The photo isn't mine, it's borrowed from a South Carolina wildlife website.)

 

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift, I'd love to see one in the wild. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Observing wildlife is such a joy. A good omen for the coming year. I wish you health and happiness during 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you mean Brookgreen Gardens? I know you mentioned Murrells Inlet in a previous post. Brookgreen is one of my very favorite places on Earth!

    I love bobcats. Having living in SC all my life, I've seen a few. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! BrookFIELD is in Wisconsin. Thank you, Jennifer.

      Delete
  4. I am thrilled for you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also never seen a lynx and I've spent a large part of my life in the bush. Have a great 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand your excitement in seeing a bobcat in the wild. I am always thrilled when seeing a wild animal in it's natural environment and here in Australia I have spent many hours looking for the elusive Cassowary but now think I may never see one in the wild, especially as I live in southern Australia and Cassowaries live in the eastern part but if we get there again I will be looking for them. Hope you have a healthy & happy 2018 and I look forward to many more interesting posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After a tough year, this bobcat certainly was a good send-off to end 2017 with ope for all in 2018. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful, I am so glad your wish was fulfilled a great gift. Best wishes for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Cynthia, how wonderful. I visited my adopted family in Idaho this past November and the youngest child, who's seven, saw bobcat in the cul-de-sac close to her home. She came running like a speed demon so frightened was she. The next day the whole family saw the cat. Like you I've always wanted to see one. Maybe this is a good omen for 2018. Let's hope. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I envy you this sighting. I have always longed for views of Bobcat and Lynx but I have never succeeded with either.

    ReplyDelete